During the tour of Ford factory this past Thursday, the president of the United States, Donald Trump stated that he would not approve of a second lockdown if there is a rise in the number of coronavirus cases again in the country.
Previously, the president has passed various comments on the treatment and control of infection which have earned him backlash from the medical community in the US as well as elsewhere in the world.
For instance, during a briefing in the white house, Trump reportedly asked people to inject disinfectants as he had noticed that they were able to kill coronavirus in a short amount of time.
Prior to these comments, two men had already been hospitalized for consuming too many medications along with disinfectants. Therefore, health professionals strongly criticized Trump for promoting a behavior they are already warning against.
In addition, Trump had also declared that he has been using the anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine in order to prevent contracting the coronavirus infection a few days ago.
Several trials have reported that the drugs hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine have severe side effects and can cause heart disease as well as potentially worsen the symptoms of COVID-19.
Doctors have repeatedly asked people to not take the drugs for any purpose at home and especially not try to treat coronavirus at home by using them.
However, comments from Trump that go against medical advice might have encouraged people to take the drug without consultation and prescription from a health professional.
Now, Trump has refused to impose a second lockdown in the country even if there is a second wave of coronavirus. In his visit to the Ford factory, he said “We are going to put out the fires. We’re not going to close the country. Whether it is an ember or a flame, we are going to put it out. But we are not closing our country.”
Secondly, the president had also claimed that coronavirus in the US will not be that widespread and will be easier to control following the months after the summer this year.
On the other hand, health experts overlooking the pandemic, including those who are a part of the official team at the white house, have said that coronavirus in the US is likely to last for a very long time and may get harder to treat or control after the beginning of flu season.
The director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and one of the members of the team at the white house, Dr. Anthony Fauci, stated that the second wave of coronavirus is expected soon during his interview with the Washington Post.
He specifically accentuated how highly contagious the virus is which means even a few cases can restart the pandemic all over again. This is the primary reason why the health crisis has been difficult to control.
In the US, state leaders have imposed limitations and harsh social distancing policies. However, with the social distancing taking the toll on the economy of the country, the federal government along with the president have supported the reopening of businesses.
At the moment, all of the fifty states have reopened businesses. Even though coronavirus in the US has not been controlled like in Denmark or Germany, it is expected to completely reopen in a few weeks.
This also includes New York, which as been the worst hit among all and has a very high death rate. With the lifting of the lockdown related restrictions, there is likely to be the second wave of coronavirus.
In the past nine weeks of the pandemic in the US, around thirty-nine million workers have filed for unemployment. Rising unemployment rates and the US presidential elections have prompted Trump to reopen the economy as he fights for four more years in the white house.