Extreme Mood Swings Maybe One of the Earliest Signs of Dementia

0
196
earliest signs of dementia
Image- Pixabay License Free for commercial use

Dementia is an age-related cognitive decline that affects the quality of life and may even lead to death, if not treated. It is not just one disease but a group of similar disorders all of which affect the functioning of the brain. There are numerous factors and types of dementia but the earliest signs of dementia may predict it years before.

Alzheimer’s is common in people over 50 years of age. But up to 70% of these cases are diagnosed after the symptoms show up. In the remaining 30% of the cases, it is never diagnosed or ignored.

Also read- Bizarre Study Finds Religious People Are More Likely to Have Disturbed Sleep Cycles

Although it is considered an old age disease many middle-aged people are also diagnosed with it. In any case or stage, there is generally to treatment to cure dementia. Medicines and therapy only improve the condition. It means an early diagnosis can save a person from potential damage which is why doctors recommend paying attention to the warning signs and earliest signs of dementia at any age.

Here is a list of eight warning signs that every person should pay attention to.

Shorter memory span

The most common sign of dementia is memory loss but years before it actually hits someone, this disease can show up as a shorter memory span. It means that a potential dementia patient may find it hard to remember things and forget important events and dates.

Extreme mood swings

Mood swings are normally associated with stress levels of a person but they can be predicting dementia years before.  This sign may go ignored for a long but with the help of other family members, loved ones, and friends, mood swings are easy to identify.

Losing interest in everything

It may not be much common but lack of interest is also one of the earliest signs of dementia. It includes hobbies and activities which were previously loved and preferred by a person. It could be an all at one interest loss or gradual, over the years. Many times it goes unnoticed because people assume its something normal with age.

Also read- Health Experts Criticize Worrying Steps Taken by CDC and FDA

Inability to focus

The feeling of aimlessness and disorientation can also represent dementia. Concentration and focus are somehow linked with age as young people are thought of being more active, energetic, and focused than older ones. However, age has nothing to do with it, and in case a person suspects it happening, it is the time to talk to a doctor.

Confusion and forgetfulness

It is normal for a person to confuse especially when he is doing something for the first time. Normally, with age, this confusion and lack of confidence improve but in case it starts reserving, it could be a sign of dementia. Such people easily get nervous and are more forgetful than other people of their age. They may assume that it has something to do with their age whereas it is more serious than their thoughts. Only a timely diagnosis can prevent it from getting worse.

 

 

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here